Diacks Nurseries was established over 100 years ago and over this time the business has evolved significantly to become the one southerners support today. In 1908, Colin Diack sowed the first seed in the Catlins area that began the thriving family business that now stretches into the fourth generation of horticulturalists. Later he grew vegetables in a small nursery in Biggar Street, selling them from his horse and cart. Without the support of Southland's locals, the business may never have grown from that small nursery in Biggar Street (now Balmoral Drive) to the two present sites in Tweed Street and Lorneville, Invercargill. These two retail outlets include a wholesale nursery and a landscape service. The shop was constructed on the Tweed street site in 1945, renovated in 2000. The Lorneville Garden Centre was purchased in 200, and the Lorneville wholesale nursery in 2002. Soon after the Loneville purchase in 2001, Diacks decided to have a clearing sale and auction to clear all existing stock. What was left was an empty garden centre, and so began the task of water blasting, painting and restocking to start with a fresh, new look.