In 1951 Bernie Scarlett started a mobile engineering and repair business known as "B J Scarlett Ltd" to service the needs of South Canterbury.
The business served the needs of farmers and quickly expanded to include the manufacture of special one off items for customers.
The business expanded its range of services to include crawler tractor repairs and manufacture of associated equipment, such as rippers, pipe laying equipment and blade accessories. One of the "one off's" was South Canterbury's first stationary pea viner.
From these early beginnings Scarletts have earned a reputation as a specialist engineering company that will tackle any jobs, large or small.
In later years Ian and Alister Scarlett have taken over the business from their father and have continued with the same commitment to customer service.
Scarletts now build equipment such as multi purpose recycling equipment including balers and manual sort line conveyors, waste compactor systems, waste transport containers, Swingthru container handling systems as well as continuing with traditional earthmoving repairs and general engineering and a full range of Scannell Hay Equipment including bale feeders and multi purpose wrappers.